Background Image for Header:
Facilitators are key to building a sustainable computer science community in West Virginia. They are the bridge between CodeWV and the teachers we serve and impact the quality of the professional learning programs.
Facilitating with CodeWV
CodeWV partners with individuals interested in developing facilitation capacity in computer science (CS) education to delivery high-quality professional development to teachers in a format that's fun and accessible.
Code.org's Facilitator Development Program is a highly-selective professional learning program designed to prepare and support facilitators to delivery quality workshops on Code.org's curriculum.
The ideal facilitator is an enthusiastic supporter of CS education, possesses a connection to Code.org's equity-focused mission and has a strong background in the curriculum area, preferably through teaching experience.
What does a CodeWV Facilitator do?
- Join a community of leaders and facilitators in the CS education space.
- Participate in in-person and online facilitator development.
- Collaborate with CodeWV to deliver professional development to teachers on Code.org's courses, with on-going support from Code.org, CodeWV, and the facilitator community.
- Partner with CodeWV to share the future of professional learning for new CS educators across West Virginia.
Who can Participate?
The Facilitator Development Program application is open to anyone who is interested in developing leadership and facilitation capacity in the CS education space. Preference will be given to applicants who meet or exceed these qualifications:
- CS Champion
- Enthusiastic supporter of K-12 CS education and strong connection to an equity-focused mission.
- Committed to supporting access to quality CS education for all students.
- Believes all teachers can teach CS.
- Strong desire to develop as a facilitator and leader within the CS education community.
- Willingness to give and receive feedback in a collaborative working environment.
- Classroom Experience and Knowledgable about Content
- Prior or current teaching experience.
- Strong background in curriculum focus area, preferably through past teaching experience with specific course.
- High level of comfort with technology, including virtual meeting tools and experience with Google suite.
- Engaging Leader
- High level of emotional intelligence and empathy for learners at varying ability levels.
- Ability to "thin on your feet" and make decisions that are in the best interest of the audience while maintaining fidelity to the program.
- Motivated self-starter.
- Additional Preferred Qualities
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage and co-lead learning experiences for adults.
- Experience in planning, leading and assessing the effectiveness of K-12 teacher professional development.
- Prior experience as a Code.org Facilitator.
Apply to become a CodeWV Facilitator
Applications for the Code.org Facilitator Development Program are OPEN NOW and available through January 31, 2019. The 2019-2020 facilitator application period will be January 14, 2019 through January 31, 2019. Interviews for selected candidates will occur between February 11, 2019 through March 1, 2019. Notification of official facilitators will begin on March 11, 2019.Apply Today!